Unity Engine Projects

Project Steampunk

Prototype for a 2D jump and run game created with the Unity Engine.

Responsibilities

  • Game and level design, programming of AI and abilities.

Project Creation Summary

Stephan B. and I discussed the possibility to create a game with the Unity Engine. After the decision was made to create a 2D shooter we asked our fellow students David. D and Ansgar. T. if they'd like to help us. We brougt our idea to our professor Christoph Thiel who accepted the idea as a university project.

Except for Stephan B. nobody had prior experience with the unity engine, so the first weeks in our 4-month schedule were spent on studying the game engine. While Stephan B. created the first basic movement engine I also helped with the creation of the game design document that explained in detail all the features of the game.

I spent most time with programming features written in the game design document. I created the movement and shooting system for the enemy AI, I implemented all traps, teleporters, moving platforms and power-up items. I also created the slow-time-feature and helped with the shooting system for the player character.

When most features were complete I turned my attention to the level design. At first I created a test level were all featured could be tested. Before building the final level in the unity engine I painted all rooms with Adobe Photoshop, so we could get an idea of the pacing of the level design and where we would want to put the objects.

Testing was done publicly. We posted a download link online and anyone who wanted to could play it and give us feedback.

Kinect Tube Racer

Virtual reality project for a racing game created with the Unity Engine and Xbox Kinect. Player uses his hands to move the vehicle left/right to avoid obstacles.

Responsibilities

  • Project management, documentation/ presentation and sound.

Project Creation Summary

The initial concept and idea was pitched by Stephan Br. We brought this idea to our professor who accepted it as a university project. Based on Stephan's idea the whole team discussed features of the project. We separated the features into work packages and everyone choose what they wanted to work on. Deadlines were set so we would know exactly how much time we had for each stage of production.

The team was split into three groups that could work independent of one another for most of the time. We had one group for modelling, one for programming and an additional group for project management, hardware setup and people who had little or no experience with the unity game engine. During the later stages of development it became clear that the groups could no longer be maintained, as each individual had his/her own prior experience with unity. The mixing of groups and roles actually benefited the entire team as each individual had the chance to have a look into another groups work. Not only was the project finished in time, but we added more featured than planned, like a highscore list or a music track.

TO TOP